Recorded July 1, 2022 at Tiki Kon, we’ve combined the professionally recorded audio with the slides so that you can experience it at home. There are a couple bonus slides during the Q&A.
Everyone is familiar with the iconic Hawaiian Mai Tai that features pineapple juice and a dark rum float. This version of the Mai Tai is quite different from the original 1944 Mai Tai created at Trader Vic’s. When did the Mai Tai in Hawaii become the “Hawaiian Mai Tai?” It wasn’t in 1953 when Trader Vic brought the Mai Tai to Hawaii and is later than you might think. Learn more about this iconic cocktail and how it evolved over the years based on contemporaneous reports and published recipes.
Note that this presentation was updated for Mai Tai Day at Trader Vic’s. That presentation wasn’t recorded but you can view the slides on this site.
Additional Referenced Links
- The (De)Evolution of the Hawaiian Mai Tai (essay)
- 1950s-Era Hawaiian Mai Tai
- 1956 Mai Tai, the Original Hawaiian Mai Tai
- 1958 Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai
- 1962 Hawaiian Mai Tai
- Trader Vic’s History of the Mai Tai, Setting the Record Straight
- Drinks of Hawaii 1st and 2nd Editions