The Search for the Ultimate Mai Tai is produced by Kevin Crossman, located in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Instagram: @ultimatemaitai
- Twitter: @ultimatemaitai1
- Facebook: fb.me/ultimatemaitai
- YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/KevinCrossman
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
About this Website
The Search for the Ultimate Mai Tai started when the original website launched in late 1998. We implemented a crude interactive website and received review submissions from Mai Tai fans globally. But, that website ceased active production a few years later and sat dormant for many years.
In 2016, I became more actively interested in Tiki again and began to experiment with cocktails. This interest was largely sparked by my 50th birthday that was coming up in the spring of 2017, and the theme for the party was “Hawaii 5-0.” In December 2017 I relaunched the Search for the Ultimate Mai Tai as an Instagram account with the goal to post daily. After two-plus years of consistent posts on Instagram, we re-launched the Search for the Ultimate Mai Tai website in January 2020.
Blog posts cover:
- Mai Tais
- Tiki bars and tiki culture
- Rum and other spirits
For more information about the background of the website, watch the interview on the Tiki with Ray video show (filmed July 2019) and a follow-up discussing Tiki in Honolulu (October 2019). Or the Tiki Blogging profile on the Tiki with Ray Blog.
Mai Tai Talk on the Rumcast
The episode from April 2021 covers the history of the Mai Tai, tips for the home bartender, and how to get an awesome Mai Tai at your local watering hole. And of course lots of talk about rum for your Mai Tai. We played a game of “Mai Tai or Not a Mai Tai” and the episode ended with the Rumcast’s signature Rapid Fire round of questions.
About Kevin Crossman
Kevin Crossman is a Bay Area native. He has previously produced the niche websites Lip Balm Anonymous and Frat Pack Tribute and was also the host of the Frat Pack Tribute Podcast, which was nominated for a Podcast Award for Best Movie Podcast. Kevin was also the co-host for the popular That’s What She Said podcast about NBC’s The Office.
A rum enthusiast, Kevin has completed The Kon-Tiki Expedition rum list and the Forbidden Island Kill Devil Club 1.0 and 2.0 rum lists. He is also a Guardian of the Cove in the Rumbustion Society at Smuggler’s Cove.
“Kevin knows his stuff. He’s being doing this since the 1990s.” – Jeff “Beachbum” Berry
Recently, Kevin has written articles, contributed cocktail recipes, and provided photographs for articles in Exotica Moderne magazine.
- Issue 5, 2019: Photos of Zombie Village (article by Tiki with Ray)
- Issue 6. 2020: “The State of Tiki in Honolulu” (article and photos)
- Issue 7, 2020: Cocktail recipe – The Blue Hawai-Tai
- Issue 8, 2020: Cocktail recipe – The Innovation Cocktail
- Issue 9, 2020: “What’s a Tikiphile to do Now?” (article and photos)
- Issue 10, 2021: “QB, or not QB?” (article and photos)
- Issue 11, 2021: “Relentlessly Curious: The Exotic Art of Woody Miller” (cover article)
- Issue 12, 2021: Cocktail recipe – Banana Mai Tai, photo of Zombie Village
- Issue 13, 2021: “The Kon-Tiki: Charting Their Own Course” (article and photos), Cocktail recipes: Turkey Grog and Blue Caribbean
- Issue 14, 2022: “Code Name: Disco Banana” (article and photos)
- Issue 15, 2022: “The (De)Evolution of the Hawaiian Mai Tai” (article and photos)
He has also written several long-form guest posts on the Tiki with Ray blog.
- Sacramento Ohana Tiki Crawl 2019
- Guest Tiki Bar Review: Psycho Suzi’s Motor Lounge – Minneapolis MN
- Bay Area Suburban Tiki is a Mixed Bag
- Guest Tiki Bar Review: Zombie Village – San Francisco, CA
- Guest Tiki Bar Review: The Kon-Tiki – Oakland, CA
An IT Manager by day, Kevin has spoken at several recent Microsoft Ignite Conferences, and has been recognized as a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) from 2016 to present.
The Search for the Ultimate Mai Tai logo and website header are by B-Rex.
Thank you to the following for assistance with the site, content review, and editorial input.
- Alexis Antonio
- Dave Bartell
- Rick Carroll
- Jay Cocorullo
- Jason Craig
- Jeremy Cash Dollar
- Tony Dunnigan
- Alex Fritch
- Matt Peitrek
- Ray Wyland
Please send website feedback to email@example.com.