I picked up this very cool Book of Tiki 20th Anniversary Mug at the Shag Store in Palm Springs. The mug is huge – 30 ounces – to remind you of the gigantic Book of Tiki that inspired it. Such a cool design from Shag and Sven Kirsten, the author of the book.
Like many folks active in the tiki scene in the 1990s, we heard about The Book of Tiki for years before the release in 2000. Still a seminal book about the history of tiki bars, art, fashion, and more.
I paid $80 for this mug, in the orange glaze that’s part of the larger run of this mug. A far lower price than you’ll see online on eBay where it goes for over $100 and sometimes over $200!
Here is how you beat the flippers:
- Drive 500 miles to Palm Springs (each way)
- Refill gas tank several times ($90)
- Have three meals a day on the road ($60-100 pp. x2)
- Stay overnight in downtown Palm Springs hotel ($160+$35 resort fee/parking)
- Buy mug and then walk to local tiki bar to celebrate ($20-40 pp., plus food)
So it’s easy to see how it is easy to beat the flippers. Look how much money I saved.
Love the book, love the artist, love the mug. It’s all okay.